9th Grade Honor Class and CE Requirements
SCMS HONORS APPLICATION PROCESS
To qualify for Honors Language Arts 9 or Honors Geography, students must meet the following criteria:
- Maintain grades of B or higher in US History 8 and Language Arts 8.
- At least ONE essay score on Utah Compose (Score of 24 or higher)/or example of an essay if transferring to SCMS from a different district or charter school.
- 3.75 GPA or Higher
9th Grade honors students are required to read four books before the end of 8th grade and complete a literature log for each title. The required literature logs can be submitted HERE from the first day of 4th quarter through the first Friday in May. The final deadline for book logs is the end of school on the first Friday in May.
These reading pages can count toward your 8th grade language arts class’s required reading.
To qualify for Honors Secondary Mathematics 1 students must meet the following criteria:
- Must have maintained a B+ or higher in 8th grade Mathematics (B or higher in Honors 8th grade Mathematics)
- Receive an Initial Knowledge check score of 250 or higher on ALEKS.
- Have acceptable behavior and attendance
* Placement subject to review after initial ALEKS assessment given the first of the school year.
To qualify for Honors Biology students must meet the following criteria:
To remain in the Honors program during the 9th grade year students must meet the following criteria.
Maintain a grade of “B” or better in the Honors class
Maintain acceptable behavior
Maintain “H’s” or “S’s” for citizenship grades
Maintain acceptable attendance
No administrative referrals for discipline
In order to qualify for a Concurrent Enrollment (CE) course students need to meet the following requirements: